Mamie D. Lee Garden

Mamie D. Lee Garden
Spring Leeks

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Third Time's the Charm

This is my third attempt at resuming my blog posts for my beloved Mamie D. Lee Community Garden.  This year, for me, blogging has been a lot like gardening.  It takes a little while to figure things out and get it right.  Here's hoping that the third time's the charm!

Summer is officially here- the summer solstice was yesterday, June 21, 2013, the longest day of the year.  Lots of extra daylight for gardening.  It's not too late to plant tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, beans, cucumbers, and squash.  These are all "hot weather plants" and love the summer weather that is descending upon us.  Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant must be started from transplants, if you can still find any this late. Beans and squash can be started from seed.

Those of you whose garden plots were flooded with ample spring rains still have time to plant a nice summer garden.  Don't delay .... after July 4, you are running the risk of diminishing returns for heat loving crops.  More on that later.

Happy gardening!

Christina Scheltema

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christina! I am writing a book on "Hidden Histories of Rock Creek Park" and am including a section on community gardens. I was wondering if you would permit me to use one or two of the photos on this blog. I could cite them however you prefer (Photo courtesy of Mamie D. Lee Garden BlogSpot?). I can be reached at Scott_Einberger@yahoo.com. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott-

      That would be fine. Sorry to take so long to get back to you!

      Christina

      Delete